Roman Settlement on Joydens Wood

Courtesy of the Joydens Wood Remembered Group on Facebook - Rhona Lee

This is a plan of the excavations of the Roman Settlement in JW which took place between 1951 and 1953 and which was situated at the lower end of what is now Spurrell Avenue and Bankside. As can be seen there was a large bank along one side ... maybe this was how Bankside Close got its name. Bankside Close was known as Roman Camp before it was officially named (thanksBella Smithfor that last interesting fact)


Roman Settlement on Joydens Wood - History of Maypole, Dartford Heath

More pages